One of the central purposes of NACTA (North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture) is to recognize those individuals whose efforts represent the very best in agricultural higher education. The NACTA Educator Award is a criterion-based award and is reviewed by a committee of NACTA members. Recipients receive a plaque. NOTE: If you have received the NACTA Teacher Fellow Award from in the past, unfortunately, you are not eligible for the NACTA Educator Award. Thanks so much!
Eligibility: (A statement by the nominee will suffice but will be verified by the NACTA Secretary.)
- To qualify for the NACTA Educator Award, a NACTA member must have been on a full-time appointment involving at least 25% teaching for a minimum of 3 of the past 5 years.
- Applicants must hold a current membership in NACTA or must send the membership form and check to the NACTA Secretary/Treasurer to be received by February 1st (see http://www.nactateachers.org/). This will be verified with the Secretary/Treasurer. Applicants who are not paid NACTA members by February 1st will be ineligible to receive the award and will not have their dossiers reviewed.
- Award recipients are expected to attend the NACTA Conference in order to received their award. There is no funding for travel associated with this award. If funding is needed for travel, applicants should inquire about travel grants offered through NACTA (usually due in February or March) or through their institutions.
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR YOUR Dossier:
- A cover page, including membership status to address eligibility. The cover page should include the following information:
- Name, title, professional address, telephone number, e-mail address of the nominator;
- Name, title, professional address, telephone number, e-mail address of the nominee;
- A list of the awards for which the nominee is being nominated; and
- Cover letter addressed to the Chair of the Teacher Recognition Committee which provides details of your active membership in NACTA and your teaching appointment of 25% or greater for the past 3 of 5 years. This can be written by the nominator or the nominee.
- A statement of the nominee's teaching philosophy, not to exceed five typewritten (double-spaced) pages.
- A summary of student evaluations of teaching for the most recent 3 of 5 years, plus letters of support from 2-3 current or recent former students. Students should complete the Teacher Evaluation forms on the NACTA Awards main page.
- A completed Teacher - Administrative Officer formfrom an administrator directly related to the nominee's teaching activities. Please see the NACTA Awards main page.
- A completed Teacher - Peer form from a faculty peer. Please see the NACTA Awards main page.
- A summary of involvement or contribution to NACTA or plans for future involvement or contribution to NACTA.
- A self-evaluation of nominee's teaching activities to include the following sections:
- availability to students
- ability to attract and motivate students
- use of current, innovative and effective teaching methods
- current in subject matter, including relevance to agricultural, environmental, natural and life sciences
- scholarly activities related to teaching
- participation in departmental, institutional and profession affairs
- outreach and engagement related to teaching
- student related activities (e.g., student recruitment, Club Advisor, etc.)
- Nominee's resume/vita, limited to 4-pages total.
Attendance at our annual meeting: Nominees should recognize that NACTA and sponsors expect awardees to be present at the annual conference to receive their awards. A consent of nomination implies that the nominee has an intention and, if selected for an award, will attend the annual conference. All award recipients are expected to participate/make presentations at future NACTA conferences.
A photograph and short biography of each award recipient will be included in the awards program at the annual conference. Submit a biography not to exceed 150 words in WordPerfect or Word format, along with a good picture in the form of a JPG or GIF file (the larger/better quality, the better your picture will be) and your most memorable teaching experience. Your biography, picture, and teaching story should be submitted using the online submission system.
Deadline for all nomination materials is 11:59 PM on February 1st. via the website.
First impressions do count. Attention to neatness of organization, format, and presentation of dossiers can make a difference.
New instructions: Submit all award nominations online at http://nactaawards.expressacademic.org/login.php
For each nominee, upload one single PDF file that includes all nomination materials (all documents, letters of support, teaching evaluations and other relevant documents) at the website by 11:59 PM on February 1st.
We will only accept one PDF file for each nomination, and the website will not combine your materials into one file if you upload multiple files for each nominee. Evaluations of all nominees will be conducted through the website and neither the Teacher Recognition Committee nor the evaluators will be able to put multiple files together for one nominee.
Deadline: Nomination materials for all awards (except Distinguished Educator and Teaching Award of Merit) must be uploaded at the website by February 1st.
Updated October 25, 2019