Teacher Fellow Award
One of the central purposes of NACTA (North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture) is to recognize those individuals whose efforts represent the very best in agricultural higher education. The NACTA Teacher Fellow Award is a criterion based award and is reviewed by a committee of NACTA members. Recipients receive a plaque. NOTE: To simplify the award submission process, the Teacher Fellow Award Checklist has been deleted and molded into the "Selection Criteria for Your Dossier" section below. Please consult this section for help in preparing your award packet. Thanks!
To qualify for the award, a NACTA member must have been on a full-time appointment involving at least 25% teaching for a minimum of 5 of the past 7 years.
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR YOUR Dossier:
- A cover page, including membership status to address eligibility. The cover page should include the following information:
- Name, title, professional address, telephone number, e-mail address of the nominator;
- Name, title, professional address, telephone number, e-mail address of the nominee;
- A list of the awards for which the nominee is being nominated; and
- Cover letter addressed to the Chair of the Teacher Recognition Committee which provides details of your active membership in NACTA and your teaching appointment of 25% or greater for the past 5 years.
- A statement of the nominee's teaching philosophy, not to exceed five typewritten (double-spaced) pages.
- A summary of student evaluations of teaching for the most recent five years, plus letters of support from 2-3 current or recent former students. Students should complete the Teacher Evaluation forms on the NACTA Awards main page.
- A completed Teacher - Administrative Officer Form from an administrator directly related to the nominee's teaching activities. Please see the NACTA Awards main page.
- A completed Teacher - Peer Form from a faculty peer. Please see the NACTA Awards main page.
- A self-evaluation of nominee's teaching activities to include the following sections:
- availability to students
- ability to attract and motivate students
- use of current, innovative and effective teaching methods
- current in subject matter, including relevance to agricultural, environmental, natural and life sciences
- scholarly activities related to teaching
- participation in departmental, institutional and profession affairs
- outreach and engagement related to teaching
- student related activities (e.g., student recruitment, Club Advisor, etc.)
- Nominee's resume/vita, limited to 4-pages total.
Attendance at annual meeting: Nominees should recognize that NACTA and sponsors expect awardees to be present at the annual conference to receive their awards. A consent of nomination implies that the nominee has an intention and, if selected for an award, will make a reasonable attempt to attend the annual conference. All award recipients are expected to participate/make presentations at future NACTA conferences.
A photograph and short biography of each award recipient will be included in the awards program at the annual conference. Submit a biography not to exceed 150 words in WordPerfect or Word format, along with a good picture in the form of a JPG or GIF file (the larger/better quality, the better your picture will be) and your funniest moment in teaching story to be used during the awards presentation :). Your biography, picture, and funny teaching story should be submitted using the online submission system.
Deadline for all nomination materials is 11:59 PM on March 1 via the website.
First impressions do count. Attention to neatness of organization, format, and presentation of dossiers can make a difference.
New instructions: Submit all award nominations online at http://nactaawards.expressacademic.org/login.php
For each nominee, upload one single PDF file that includes all nomination materials (all documents, letters of support, teaching evaluations and other relevant documents) at the website by 11:59 PM on March 1st.
We will only accept one PDF file for each nomination, and the website will not combine your materials into one file if you upload multiple files for each nominee. Evaluations of all nominees will be conducted through the website and neither the Teacher Recognition Committee nor the evaluators will be able to put multiple files together for one nominee.
Visit the website at http://nactaawards.expressacademic.org/login.php for information on how to upload your files. If you haven't used this website before, you will need to create your own id and password. If you have any problem uploading files, contact Rick Parker at
or Nick Fuhrman at
Deadline: Nomination materials for all awards (except Distinguished Educator and Teaching Award of Merit) must be uploaded at the website by March 1.
Updated January 31, 2014.